- KAI HWANG is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Univ. of Southern California (USC). He earned the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Univ. of California, Berkeley in 1972. He has taught at Purdue Univ. over 11 years prior to joining USC in 1985. At present, he also serves as an IV-endowed visiting Chair Professor at Tsinghua Univ., China. Click the Biographical Sketch for a summary.
- Dr. Hwang has engaged in academic work, creative research and higher education for 40 years in computer science, digital systems, and information technology. He specializes in computer architecture, parallel processing, distributed systems, high-performance computing, cloud computing, networking and communications, P2P networks, pervasive computing, and network security etc. Click the underlined terms to download corresponding papers.
- Hwang has published 8 books and over 220 scientific papers in specialized computer areas. According to Google Scholar, his published work has been cited more than 11,000 times. He has a publication h-index of 46 and g-index of 93, meaning that his top 46 papers were cited at least h = 46 times each. His top g = 93 papers were cited g*g = 8,649 times, collectively.
Journal/Conference Papers Published (see complete list in CV)
- Dr. Hwang has 118 SCI-indexed Journal papers published: 16 in IEEE-TC, 14 in TPDS, 10 in JPDC, 10 in IEEE Computer, Security & Privacy, Concurrency; 7 in TSE, TMM/TR, PIEEE, 4 in TKD and TDSC; 3 in JACM, ACM-TISSEC, SIG-Micro; 3 in IEEE Internet Computing, plus 18 papers in JCSS, Grid, JISE, Parallel Computing, Advances in Computers, CVGIP, J. of Systems Architecture, etc.
- Google scholar reported 3,702 citations of 57 recent papers published since 2007. The Power Trust paper was the top cited paper (341 citations) published in the IEEE-TPDS in 2007. Another most-cited article has 302 citations in IEEE Internet Computing (2005).
- In addition, Hwang has authored or coauthored 128 IE-indexed Conference Papers with his former students and colleagues. USC official web site cited him at the top 20 most cited faculty researchers on the USC campus.
- By May 8, 2012, Hwang's book: Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing (McGraw-Hill 1984) was cited 1878 times, Advanced Computer Architecture (McGraw-Hill 1993) 1436 times, Computer Arithmetic (Wiley 1978) 1319 times, and Scalable Parallel Computing (McGraw-Hill 1998) was cited 670 times. These 4 books have been adopted worldwide and translated into Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages.
- Hwang's latest book (with Geoffrey Fox and Jack Dongarra): Distributed and Cloud Computing will be published by Morgan Kaufmann in October 2011. This new book covers distributed systems, computer clusters, virtualization, supercomputers, computing grids, P2P systems, Internet clouds, Internet of Things and social networks. These topics represent his latest interest in research and academic work. The Table of Contents of this new book is attached for your advance information.
Honors, Awards and Editorship
- In Dec. 6, 2012, he receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from IEEE Cloudcom2012 for his contributions in parallel and distributed computing. In May 18, 2011, The IEEE IPDPS (Int'l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium) awarded Dr. Hwang the Founders' Award for his pioneering contributions in Parallel Processing. The Award was extended to him during the 25-year IPDPS Conference in Anchorage, Alaska.
- In 2004, he received the very first Outstanding Achievement Award from China Computer Federation (counterpart of IEEE Computer Society in China) for his leadership role in research and higher education on high-performance computer systems.
- In 1986, IEEE Computer Society has elevated Hwang to IEEE Fellow for making significant contributions in computer architecture, digital arithmetic, and parallel processing.
- He has served as a distinguished visitor of IEEE Computer Society during 1981-84. He received the outstanding achievement Awards by IEEE PDPTA and PDCAT in 1996 and 2002, respectively.
- He has served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing for 28 years. Currently, he also served in the editorial boards of the Journal of Cloud Computing and International Journal of High-Performance Computing and Networking.
- Presently, Prof. Hwang teaches the following courses at USC:
- Computer Architecture: EE 457 at Senior level and EE557 at graduate level.
- Parallel and Distributed Computing: EE657 for master and Ph.D. students.
- Wireless Internet and Pervasive Computing: EE532 for graduate students.
- Hwang has supervised the completion of 17 Ph.D. students at USC and 4 at Purdue over the years. Most of his former Ph.D. students are engaged in academic and scientific/engineering work at research universities and in major computer and IT companies.
- Four of his best students: D. K. Panda, Joydeep Ghosh, Lionel and Ahmed Louri are recognized as IEEE Fellows. His student, Dr. Jian Xu, an IBM Fellow, was recognized by the Hall of Fame (Woman in Technology International) in 2008.
- Dr. Hwang has lectured worldwide and performed advisory work for IBM, Intel, MIT Lincoln Lab., ETL in Japan, Chinese Academy of Sciences, GMD in Germany, and INRIA in France.
Leadership and Keynote Presentations
- Hwang has chaired numerous ACM/IEEE International Conferences. In 2011, he serves as the General Co-Chair of the Third IEEE Int'l Conf. Cloud Computing Technology and Sciences (CloudCom-2011) to be held in Athens, Greece on Nov.29-Dec.1, 2011. He also chairs the Int'l Conf. on Utility and Cloud Computing to be held in Melbourne, Australia in Dec. 2011.
- Hwang has delivered 35 keynote addresses in major IEEE/ACM Conferences, including IPDPS, ICDCS, HPCA, ISCA, ICPP, Arith, HPCC, NAS, Cluster, PDCTA, PDCAT, SCC, Cloudcom, OTM, ISPA, PDCS, ICPAD, GPC, Ubi-Media, NPC, GPC, Cool Chip, IWCC, IPPS, CONPAR etc.
- Hwang has led 25 funded Research Projects (ITR:GridSec, Viscom, AoE in IT, etc.) at Purdue, USC, Univ. of Hong Kong, and Tsinghua Univ., supported by US-NSF, ONR, AFOSR, IBM, AT&T, MIT Lincoln Lab, Hong Kong RGC, and NSF of China. During his sabbatical years, he has visited the Univ. of Tokyo, Univ. of Minnesota, Univ. of Hong Kong, Tsinghua Univ., Peking Univ., Zhejiang Univ., and Chinese Academy of Sciences on research collaborations.
Point of Contact
- To contact Dr. Hwang, the best way is through Email:email@example.com Visit the web site of his research group at USC, http://gridsec.usc.edu for additional information on current and previous research projects, publications, presentations, and professional activities.
- For a complete list of the above items, see the attached CV for details. The pdf files of three of his latest papers and two latest keynote presentations (IEEE CloudCom2011 keynote pdf, IEEE UCC2011 keynote pdf, Award-winning speech Cloudcom 2012) attached here.
- For old personal webpage, please visit here. For complete information, see the updated complete CV. Clip here his most cited papers and most recent keynote presentations 1 2.
New Book Release
Hwang's latest book (with Geoffrey Fox and Jack Dongarra): Distributed and Cloud Computing was published by Morgan Kaufmann in Sept. 2011. This new book covers distributed systems, computer clusters, virtualization, super-computers, computing grids, P2P systems, Internet clouds, Internet of Things and social networks etc. The Table of Contents of this new book is attached for your advance information. The preface is available here. Homework solution and PPT lecture slides are available to registered instructors with the MKP website.
Contact:Prof. Kai Hwang
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, EEB-212
Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA 90089-2562
Office Tel: 1-(213)-740-4470
Office Fax: 1-(213)-740-4418
Left Message: 1-(213)-740-3963