- KAI HWANG is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Univ. of Southern California (USC). He earned the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Univ. of California, Berkeley in 1972. He has taught at Purdue Univ. over 11 years prior to joining USC in 1985. At present, he also serves as an EMC-endowed visiting Chair Professor at Tsinghua Univ., China. Click the Biographical Sketch for a summary.
- Dr. Hwang has engaged in academic work, creative research and higher education for 43 years in computer science, digital systems, and information technology. He specializes in computer architecture, parallel processing, distributed systems, high-performance computing, cloud computing, networking and communications, P2P networks, pervasive computing, and network security etc. Click the underlined terms to download some representative papers.
- Hwang has published 10 books and over 250 scientific papers in Computer Science/Engineering and Internet Technology. According to Google Scholar, his published work has been cited more than 16,500 times. He has a h-index of 54, meaning that 54 papers are cited at least h = 54 times each.
- Dr. Hwang has published 160 SCI-indexed Journal papers. The Power Trust paper was the most cited paper (743 citations) published in the IEEE-TPDS in 2007. Another most-cited article on fuzzy trust management has 440 citations in IEEE Internet Computing (2005).
- USC official web site cited him at the top 20 most cited faculty researchers on the USC campus.
- By Jan 26, 2014, Hwang's book: Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing (McGraw-Hill 1984) was cited 2,384 times, Advanced Computer Architecture (McGraw-Hill 1993) 1,750 times, Computer Arithmetic (Wiley 1978) 1,181 times, and Scalable Parallel Computing (McGraw-Hill 1998) was cited 740 times. These 4 books have been adopted worldwide and translated into Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages.
- Hwang's book (with Geoffrey Fox and Jack Dongarra): Distributed and Cloud Computing was published by Morgan Kaufmann in October 2011. This new book covers distributed systems, computer clusters, virtualization, supercomputers, computing grids, P2P systems, Internet clouds, Internet of Things and social networks. The Table of Contents of this book is attached for your information. The preface is available here. Homework solution and PPT lecture slides are available from Morgan Kauffman Publishers (MKP) website for registered instructors with MKP.
- In 2017, Hwang has published a new book,"Cloud Computing for Machine Learning and Cognitive Applications," with MIT press, which will be off the press by April 1 ,2017. The book updates significantly from the earlier book published ny Morgan Kaufmann in 2011, and extends into the new ares of Machine Learning and Cognitive Computing.
- Kai Hwang and Min Chen have written a new book entitled:"Big-Data Analytics for Cloud and Cognitive Computing", to appear in early 2017. (Publiser: Wiley in UK)
Recently Published Papers
1. K.Hwang, X.Bai, Y.Shi, M.Li, W.G.Chen, and Y.Wu,"Cloud Performance Modeling with Benchmark Evaluation of Elastic Scaling Strategies", IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems,2016.
2. K.L.Li, W.Ai, Z.Tang, F.Zhang, J.Gang, K.Q.Li and K.Hwang, "Hadoop Recognition of Biomedical Named Entity Using Random Fields", IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Dec. 2015.
3. H.Tan, C.Li, Z.He, K.Li and K.Hwang,"VMCD: A Virtual Mutl-Channel Disk I/O Scheduling Method for Virtual Machines", IEEE Trans. on Service Computing,on-line published in May 10, 2015.
4. F.Zhang, K.Hwang, S.Khan and Q.Malluhi,"Skyline Discovery and Composition of Inter-Cloud Mashup Services", IEEE Trans. on Service Computing, on-line published in Dec. 2015.
5. W.He, K.Hwang, and D.Li, "Intelligent Carpool Routing for Urban Ridesharing by Mining GPS Trajectors", IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, March 2015.
6. F.Zhang, J.Cao. K.Li, K.S.Khan and K.Hwang,"Multi-Objective Scheduling of Many Tasks in Cloud Platforms", Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, Jan. 2015.
7. F.Zhang, J.Cao, K.Hwang,K.Li and K.S.Khan, "Adaptive Workfolw Scheduling on Cloud Computing Platforms with Iterative Ordinal Optimization",IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing, April 2015.
8. Y. Wu, M. Su, W. Zheng, K. Hwang and A. Zomaya, " Associative Big Data Sharing in Community Clouds: The MeePo Approach", IEEE Cloud Computing, Jan. 2016.
9. K. Hwang, M. Chen, and J. Wu, "Mobile Big Data Management and Innovative Applications ( Gust E ditors’ Introduction)", IEEE Trans. Service Computing, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 784-785, 2016.
10. M. Chen, Y. Qian, K. Hwang, J. Song, and S. Mao, "Privacy Protection and Intrusion Avoidance for Cloudlet-based Medical Data Sharing", IEEE Trans. Cloud Computing, TCC.2016.
11. M. Chen, Y. Hao, C. Lai, D. Wu, Y. Li, and Kai Hwang, "Opportunistic Workflow Scheduling over Co-Located Clouds in Mobile Environment", IEEE Trans. Service Computing, TSC.2016.
12.F. Zhang, J. Cao, K. S. Khan, K. Li and K. Hwang, " A Task-Level Adaptive Framework for Real- Time Streaming Data in Healthcare Applications," Future Generation Computer Systems, Oct. 2015.
13. J. Cao, K. Hwang, K. Li, and A. Zomaya, "Optimal Multiserver Configuration for Profit Maximization in Cloud Computing", IEEE Trans. Parallel ,and Distributed Systems, Special issue on Cloud Computing, Vol. 24, No.6, June 2013, pp.1087-1096.
14. S. Cheung, Y. Sun, K. Aberer, J. Haritsa, B. Horne, and K. Hwang, Guest-Editorial: Special Issue on Privacy and Trust Management in Cloud and Distributed Systems, IEEE Tran. On Information Forensics and Security, June 2013, pp. 835-837.
15. H. Shen and K. Hwang, "Locality-Preserving Clustering and Discovery of Resources in Wide- Area Computational Grids", IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol.61, No.4, April 2012, pp.458- 473.
16. X. Lou and K. Hwang, "Quality of Data delivery in P2P Video Streaming", ACM Transactions on Mobile Computing, Communications and Applications, (TOMCCAP), Feb. 2012, pp.12-1 to 12-22.
17. K. Hwang, J. Dongarra, and G. Fox, "Cloud Computing: Trust Managements in Virtual Datacenters", Microsoft TechNet Magazine, Dec. 2011.
18. Z. Li, G. Xie, K. Hwang, and Z. Li, "Chern-Resilient Protocol for Massive Data Dissemination in P2P Networks", IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol.22, No.9, August 2011.
19. K. Hwang and D. Li, " Trusted Cloud Computing with Secure Resources and Data Coloring", IEEE Internet Computing, Vol.14, Sept. 2010, pp.14-22.
20. Y. Wu, K. Hwang, Y. Yuan, and W. Zheng, "Adaptive Workload Prediction of Grid Performance in Confidence Windows", IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol.21, No.7, July 2010, pp.925-938.
Honors, Awards and Editorship
- In Dec. 6, 2012, Hwang received the Lifetime Achievement Award from IEEE Cloudcom2012 for his contributions in parallel and distributed computing. In May 18, 2011, The IEEE IPDPS (Int'l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium) awarded Dr. Hwang the Founders' Award for his pioneering contributions in Parallel Processing.
- In 2004, he received the very first Outstanding Achievement Award from China Computer Federation for his leadership role in research and higher education on high-performance computer systems.In 1986, IEEE Computer Society elevated Hwang to IEEE Fellow for making significant contributions in computer architecture, digital arithmetic, and parallel processing.
- Hwang has served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing for 28 years. Currently, he also served in the editorial boards of the Journal of Cloud Computing and International Journal of High-Performance Computing and Networking and IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing
Educational and Distinguished Lectures
- Presently, Prof. Hwang teaches the following four courses at USC:
- Computer Architecture: EE 457 at Senior level and EE557 at graduate level.
- Parallel and Distributed Computing: EE657 for master and Ph.D. students.
- Internet and Cloud Computing: EE542 for graduate students.
- Wireless Internet and Pervasive Computing: EE532 for graduate students.
- Hwang has supervised the completion of 21 Ph.D. students at USC and Purdue University. (See his vita for listing). Four of his best students: D. K. Panda, Joydeep Ghosh, Lionel Ni and Ahmed Louri are recognized as IEEE Fellows,and Jian Xu, an IBM Fellow.She was recognized by the Hall of Fame (Woman in Technology International) in 2008.
- Dr. Hwang has lectured worldwide and performed advisory work for IBM, Intel, MIT Lincoln Lab., ETL in Japan, Chinese Academy of Sciences, GMD in Germany, and INRIA in France.
Invited Chairs and Keynote Presentations
- Hwang has chaired numerous ACM/IEEE International Conferences. He has served as the General Co-Chair of the Third IEEE Int'l Conf. Cloud Computing Technology and Sciences (CloudCom-2011) held in Athens, Greece on Nov.29-Dec.1, 2011.
- Hwang has delivered 39 keynote addresses in major IEEE/ACM Conferences, including IPDPS, ICDCS, HPCA, ISCA, ICPP, Arith, HPCC, NAS, Cluster, PDCTA, PDCAT, SCC, Cloudcom, OTM, ISPA, PDCS, ICPAD, GPC, Ubi-Media, NPC, GPC, Cool Chip, IWCC, IPPS, CONPAR etc.
- Hwang has led 25 funded Research Projects at Purdue, USC, Univ. of Hong Kong, and Tsinghua Univ., supported by US-NSF, ONR, AFOSR, IBM, AT&T, MIT Lincoln Lab, Hong Kong RGC, and NSF of China. During his sabbatical years, he has visited the Univ. of Tokyo, Univ. of Minnesota, Univ. of Hong Kong, Tsinghua Univ., and National Taiwan University.
- Most recent keynote Presentations:
- Invited Talk on " Cloud Big Data Analytics for Cognitive Deep Learning", at Tsinghua University and Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Shenzhen University, China Dec.15/16/21, 2016
- Core Technologies for The Future Internet and Cloud Ecosystem, March 15, 2012.
- Security Infrastructure for Trusted Offloading in Mobile Cloud Computing, November 8, 2014,Santa Clara,CA.
- Enabling Cloud Analytics for Big-Data Security and Intelligence, May 2014, Stanford University.
- China's Competitive Edge in Global Leadership on Scientific Discovery and High Technology, December 29, 2014, Tsing Hua University,China
- Cloud Analytics for Intelligent Big-Data in Scientific Discovery, March 6, 2014, MIT,Boston,MA.
- Cloud Benchmark Performance and Security Infrastructure for Mobile Clouds, January 19, 2015.
- Big Data Analytics, Smart Clouds and Intelligent IoT Applications, March 17, 2016,Wuhan University,China.
- IEEE CloudCom2011 , IEEE UCC2011 and, Award-winning speech Cloudcom 2012
Point of Contact
- To contact Dr. Hwang, the best way is through Email:email@example.com Visit the web site of his research group at USC, http://gridsec.usc.edu for additional information on current and previous research projects, publications, presentations, and professional activities.
- Mailing Address:
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, EEB-212
Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA 90089-2562
Office Tel: 1-(213)-740-4470
Office Fax: 1-(213)-740-4418
Left Message: 1-(213)-740-3963
- For a complete list of the above items, see the attached CV for details. .