- KAI HWANG is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Univ. of Southern California (USC). He earned the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Univ. of California, Berkeley in 1972. He has taught at Purdue Univ. over 11 years prior to joining USC in 1985. At present, he also serves as an EMC-endowed visiting Chair Professor at Tsinghua Univ., China. Click the Biographical Sketch for a summary.
- Dr. Hwang has engaged in academic work, creative research and higher education for 43 years in computer science, digital systems, and information technology. He specializes in computer architecture, parallel processing, distributed systems, high-performance computing, cloud computing, networking and communications, P2P networks, pervasive computing, and network security etc. Click the underlined terms to download some representative papers.
- Hwang has published 8 books and over 240 scientific papers in Computer Science/Engineering and Internet Technology. According to Google Scholar, his published work has been cited more than 15,000 times. He has a h-index of 53, meaning that 53 papers are cited at least h = 53 times each.
Published Papers and Books
- Dr. Hwang has published 150 SCI-indexed Journal papers. The Power Trust paper was the most cited paper (660 citations) published in the IEEE-TPDS in 2007. Another most-cited article on fuzzy trust management has 440 citations in IEEE Internet Computing (2005).
- USC official web site cited him at the top 20 most cited faculty researchers on the USC campus.
- By Jan 26, 2014, Hwang's book: Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing (McGraw-Hill 1984) was cited 2,384 times, Advanced Computer Architecture (McGraw-Hill 1993) 1,750 times, Computer Arithmetic (Wiley 1978) 1,181 times, and Scalable Parallel Computing (McGraw-Hill 1998) was cited 740 times. These 4 books have been adopted worldwide and translated into Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages.
- Hwang's latest book (with Geoffrey Fox and Jack Dongarra): Distributed and Cloud Computing was published by Morgan Kaufmann in October 2011. This new book covers distributed systems, computer clusters, virtualization, supercomputers, computing grids, P2P systems, Internet clouds, Internet of Things and social networks. The Table of Contents of this book is attached for your information. The preface is available here. Homework solution and PPT lecture slides are available from Morgan Kauffman Publishers (MKP) website for registered instructors with MKP.
- Kai Hwang and Min Chen have written a new book entitled:"Big-Data with Smart Clouds and IoT Sensing", to appear in early 2017. (Publiser: Wiley in UK)
- Recent Published Journal Papers:
1. K.Hwang, X.Bai, Y.Shi, M.Li, W.G.Chen, and Y.Wu,"Cloud Performance Modeling with Benchmark Evaluation of Elastic Scaling Strategies", IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems,2016.
2. K.L.Li, W.Ai, Z.Tang, F.Zhang, J.Gang, K.Q.Li and K.Hwang, "Hadoop Recognition of Biomedical Named Entity Using Random Fields", IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Dec. 2015.
3. H.Tan, C.Li, Z.He, K.Li and K.Hwang,"VMCD: A Virtual Mutl-Channel Disk I/O Scheduling Method for Virtual Machines", IEEE Trans. on Service Computing,on-line published in May 10, 2015.
4. F.Zhang, K.Hwang, S.Khan and Q.Malluhi,"Skyline Discovery and Composition of Inter-Cloud Mashup Services", IEEE Trans. on Service Computing, on-line published in Dec. 2015.
5. W.He, K.Hwang, and D.Li, "Intelligent Carpool Routing for Urban Ridesharing by Mining GPS Trajectors", IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems, March 2015.
6. F.Zhang, J.Cao. K.Li, K.S.Khan and K.Hwang,"Multi-Objective Scheduling of Many Tasks in Cloud Platforms", Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, Jan. 2015.
7. F.Zhang, J.Cao, K.Hwang,K.Li and K.S.Khan, "Adaptive Workfolw Scheduling on Cloud Computing Platforms with Iterative Ordinal Optimization",IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing, April 2015.
8. Y.W, M.Su, W.Zheng, K.Hwang, A.Y.Zomaya,"Associative Big Data Sharing in Community Clouds: The MeePo Approach", IEEE Cloud Computing Magzine,Jan.2016
Honors, Awards and Editorship
- In Dec. 6, 2012, Hwang received the Lifetime Achievement Award from IEEE Cloudcom2012 for his contributions in parallel and distributed computing. In May 18, 2011, The IEEE IPDPS (Int'l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium) awarded Dr. Hwang the Founders' Award for his pioneering contributions in Parallel Processing.
- In 2004, he received the very first Outstanding Achievement Award from China Computer Federation for his leadership role in research and higher education on high-performance computer systems.In 1986, IEEE Computer Society elevated Hwang to IEEE Fellow for making significant contributions in computer architecture, digital arithmetic, and parallel processing.
- Hwang has served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing for 28 years. Currently, he also served in the editorial boards of the Journal of Cloud Computing and International Journal of High-Performance Computing and Networking and IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing
- Presently, Prof. Hwang teaches the following four courses at USC:
- Computer Architecture: EE 457 at Senior level and EE557 at graduate level.
- Parallel and Distributed Computing: EE657 for master and Ph.D. students.
- Internet and Cloud Computing: EE542 for graduate students.
- Wireless Internet and Pervasive Computing: EE532 for graduate students.
- Hwang has supervised the completion of 21 Ph.D. students at USC and Purdue University. (See his vita for listing). Four of his best students: D. K. Panda, Joydeep Ghosh, Lionel Ni and Ahmed Louri are recognized as IEEE Fellows,and Jian Xu, an IBM Fellow.She was recognized by the Hall of Fame (Woman in Technology International) in 2008.
- Dr. Hwang has lectured worldwide and performed advisory work for IBM, Intel, MIT Lincoln Lab., ETL in Japan, Chinese Academy of Sciences, GMD in Germany, and INRIA in France.
Leadership and Keynote Presentations
- Hwang has chaired numerous ACM/IEEE International Conferences. He has served as the General Co-Chair of the Third IEEE Int'l Conf. Cloud Computing Technology and Sciences (CloudCom-2011) held in Athens, Greece on Nov.29-Dec.1, 2011.
- Hwang has delivered 39 keynote addresses in major IEEE/ACM Conferences, including IPDPS, ICDCS, HPCA, ISCA, ICPP, Arith, HPCC, NAS, Cluster, PDCTA, PDCAT, SCC, Cloudcom, OTM, ISPA, PDCS, ICPAD, GPC, Ubi-Media, NPC, GPC, Cool Chip, IWCC, IPPS, CONPAR etc.
- Hwang has led 25 funded Research Projects at Purdue, USC, Univ. of Hong Kong, and Tsinghua Univ., supported by US-NSF, ONR, AFOSR, IBM, AT&T, MIT Lincoln Lab, Hong Kong RGC, and NSF of China. During his sabbatical years, he has visited the Univ. of Tokyo, Univ. of Minnesota, Univ. of Hong Kong, Tsinghua Univ., and National Taiwan University.
- Most recent keynote Presentations:
1. Core Technologies for The Future Internet and Cloud Ecosystem, March 15, 2012.
2. Security Infrastructure for Trusted Offloading in Mobile Cloud Computing, November 8, 2014,Santa Clara,CA.
3. Enabling Cloud Analytics for Big-Data Security and Intelligence, May 2014, Stanford University.
4. China's Competitive Edge in Global Leadership on Scientific Discovery and High Technology, December 29, 2014, Tsing Hua University,China
5. Cloud Analytics for Intelligent Big-Data in Scientific Discovery, March 6, 2014, MIT,Boston,MA.
6. Cloud Benchmark Performance and Security Infrastructure for Mobile Clouds, January 19, 2015.
7. Big Data Analytics, Smart Clouds and Intelligent IoT Applications, March 17, 2016,Wuhan University,China.
8. IEEE CloudCom2011 , IEEE UCC2011 and, Award-winning speech Cloudcom 2012
Point of Contact
- To contact Dr. Hwang, the best way is through Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Visit the web site of his research group at USC, http://gridsec.usc.edu for additional information on current and previous research projects, publications, presentations, and professional activities.
- Mailing Address:
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, EEB-212
Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA 90089-2562
Office Tel: 1-(213)-740-4470
Office Fax: 1-(213)-740-4418
Left Message: 1-(213)-740-3963
- For a complete list of the above items, see the attached CV for details. .