- KAI HWANG is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Univ. of Southern California (USC). He earned the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Univ. of California, Berkeley in 1972. He has taught at Purdue Univ. over 11 years prior to joining USC in 1985. At present, he also serves as an EMC-endowed visiting Chair Professor at Tsinghua Univ., China. Click the Biographical Sketch for a Biosketch.
- Dr. Hwang has engaged in academic work, creative research and higher education for 40 years in computer science, digital systems, and information technology. He specializes in computer architecture, parallel processing, distributed systems, high-performance computing, cloud computing, networking and communications, P2P networks, pervasive computing, and network security etc. Click the underlined terms to download some representative papers.
- Hwang has published 8 books and over 230 scientific papers in Computer Science/Engineering and Internet Technology. According to Google Scholar, his published work has been cited more than 13,000 times. He has a h-index of 49, meaning that his top 49 papers were cited at least h = 49 times each.
Published Papers and Books (see complete list in CV)
- Dr. Hwang has 120 SCI-indexed Journal papers published. The Power Trust paper was the top cited paper (478 citations) published in the IEEE-TPDS in 2007. Another most-cited article on fuzzy trust management has 381 citations in IEEE Internet Computing (2005).
- USC official web site cited him at the top 20 most cited faculty researchers on the USC campus.
- By Jan 26, 2014, Hwang's book: Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing (McGraw-Hill 1984) was cited 2,227 times, Advanced Computer Architecture (McGraw-Hill 1993) 1,583 times, Computer Arithmetic (Wiley 1978) 1,471 times, and Scalable Parallel Computing (McGraw-Hill 1998) was cited 670 times. These 4 books have been adopted worldwide and translated into Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages.
- Hwang's latest book (with Geoffrey Fox and Jack Dongarra): Distributed and Cloud Computing was published by Morgan Kaufmann in October 2011. This new book covers distributed systems, computer clusters, virtualization, supercomputers, computing grids, P2P systems, Internet clouds, Internet of Things and social networks. The Table of Contents of this new book is attached for your advance information. The preface is available here. Homework solution and PPT lecture slides are available to registered instructors from Morgan Kauffman Publishers website.
Honors, Awards and Editorship
- In Dec. 6, 2012, he receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from IEEE Cloudcom2012 for his contributions in parallel and distributed computing. In May 18, 2011, The IEEE IPDPS (Int'l Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium) awarded Dr. Hwang the Founders' Award for his pioneering contributions in Parallel Processing.
- In 2004, he received the very first Outstanding Achievement Award from China Computer Federation for his leadership role in research and higher education on high-performance computer systems.In 1986, IEEE Computer Society has elevated Hwang to IEEE Fellow for making significant contributions in computer architecture, digital arithmetic, and parallel processing.
- He has served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing for 28 years. Currently, he also served in the editorial boards of the Journal of Cloud Computing and International Journal of High-Performance Computing and Networking and IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing
- Presently, Prof. Hwang teaches the following courses at USC:
- Computer Architecture: EE 457 at Senior level and EE557 at graduate level.
- Parallel and Distributed Computing: EE657 for master and Ph.D. students.
- Internet and Cloud Computing: EE542 for graduate students.
- Wireless Internet and Pervasive Computing: EE532 for graduate students.
- Hwang has supervised the completion of 21 Ph.D. students at USC and Purdue University.
- Four of his best students: D. K. Panda, Joydeep Ghosh, Lionel Ni and Ahmed Louri are recognized as IEEE Fellows. His student, Dr. Jian Xu, an IBM Fellow, was recognized by the Hall of Fame (Woman in Technology International) in 2008.
- Dr. Hwang has lectured worldwide and performed advisory work for IBM, Intel, MIT Lincoln Lab., ETL in Japan, Chinese Academy of Sciences, GMD in Germany, and INRIA in France.
Leadership and Keynote Presentations
- Hwang has chaired numerous ACM/IEEE International Conferences. He has served as the General Co-Chair of the Third IEEE Int'l Conf. Cloud Computing Technology and Sciences (CloudCom-2011) held in Athens, Greece on Nov.29-Dec.1, 2011.
- Hwang has delivered 35 keynote addresses in major IEEE/ACM Conferences, including IPDPS, ICDCS, HPCA, ISCA, ICPP, Arith, HPCC, NAS, Cluster, PDCTA, PDCAT, SCC, Cloudcom, OTM, ISPA, PDCS, ICPAD, GPC, Ubi-Media, NPC, GPC, Cool Chip, IWCC, IPPS, CONPAR etc.
- Hwang has led 25 funded Research Projects at Purdue, USC, Univ. of Hong Kong, and Tsinghua Univ., supported by US-NSF, ONR, AFOSR, IBM, AT&T, MIT Lincoln Lab, Hong Kong RGC, and NSF of China. During his sabbatical years, he has visited the Univ. of Tokyo, Univ. of Minnesota, Univ. of Hong Kong, Tsinghua Univ., and National Taiwan University.
Point of Contact
- To contact Dr. Hwang, the best way is through Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Visit the web site of his research group at USC, http://gridsec.usc.edu for additional information on current and previous research projects, publications, presentations, and professional activities.
- For a complete list of the above items, see the attached CV for details. His recent keynote presentations (IEEE CloudCom2011 , IEEE UCC2011 and, Award-winning speech Cloudcom 2012) .
- For old personal webpage, please visit here. Clip here his most cited papers and most recent keynote presentations 1 2.
Contact:Prof. Kai Hwang
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, EEB-212
Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA 90089-2562
Office Tel: 1-(213)-740-4470
Office Fax: 1-(213)-740-4418
Left Message: 1-(213)-740-3963
Official homepage, updated by Kai Hwang on May.24, 2014.